Friday, October 8, 2010

Working for other people verses working for yourself

  Back in the olden days, I was self employed. I did alterations from home and contracted out work for bridal stores (don't get me started on bridezillias). My business was named: "The Alteration Station". This was before internet and cell phones (how did we live?)

  I LOVED being my own boss and staying home to raise my son. At first we were really poor. It takes a long time to get a business going. Then it got to the point that I was making a lot more money during certain times of the year: wedding and prom seasons. But, I was working sometimes 12 hours a day and 7 days a week. If you take those hours and divide it by how much you made you only are really making about $4.50 an hour! 

  Well, I was tired of all those hours and not having health insurance, and doing self-employment taxes. Plus , when you work at home all that work that you didn't get done is always staring at you. And people think if you "work at home" that you're not doing anything...ugh! So, I decided to go out and get a "real" job...


  Since 2001 I've had about 10+ "real" jobs and they pretty much all stank! (is stank a word?) I've been everything from a van driver to a nursing home caregiver, to a merchandiser, to retail. Wow, that just wasn't for me! I hate being in a box. I hate working at factories where the buzzer buzzes for you to take  a break and eat lunch...ugh! Felt like Fred Flintstone!


  So here goes...my last chance to be self-employed (the lesser of the two evils) again. I'm excited!

No comments:

Post a Comment